Monday, January 20, 2014

A connection on Sunday...Tom Brady to the Rich Young Ruler

Last night Mike Williams led us in conversation about the rich man in Matthew 19. I got excited because earlier in the day my wife and I had a similar conversation about Tom Brady. A couple of years ago Tom Brady shared some things about life on 60 Minutes. At the age of 30 then: he won 3 Super Bowls, won a few MVPs, 60 million dollar ten year contract (to which he responded "I'm making more money than I ever thought I could make playing football")

With all of this fame, popularity and money; he responded in his interview:“Why do I have three Super Bowl rings and still think there’s something greater out there for me? I mean, maybe a lot of people would say, ‘Hey man, this is what is.’ I reached my goal, my dream, my life. I think, ‘God, it’s got to be more than this.’ I mean this isn’t, this can’t be what it’s all cracked up to be … I love playing football and I love being quarterback for this team. But at the same time, I think there are a lot of other parts about me that I’m trying to find.” When I saw this interview, I was like jumping up and down; yelling you are missing out on a relationship with God. He is what there is to life, He determines life, He is life! Brady you are right there...

Now back to Matthew 19! The young rich ruler approaches Jesus and says; “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” Jesus asks if he keeps the commandments, to which he responds yes. Jesus asks him to sell all that he had; and fully commit to following Jesus. The man walks away...because he had great wealth.

Tom Brady and this rich young man were at like the same place in their lives. They had it all! The fame, the popularity, leadership, money, etc. but they missed what they really need and that is Jesus!

When looking at the phrase that the young rich ruler says to Jesus; one word pops out at me. What is it? It's the word I. What must I do? There is nothing that I can do! It is what He can do! I am convinced that this passage encouraged the people that day that a rich man can't buy his way into eternity! I am convinced that Jesus pushed the point not that it's wrong to be rich; but that we cannot do anything to get eternity; we need Him for that! Tom Brady can reach the top of what we might say a person can do; he can even give all his money away; but if he doesn't choose to accept Jesus then he will always have a gaping hole in his heart! He will feel like there has to be something more.

Good news for Tom Brady is that just like the young rich ruler; we don't know if there might be life change down the road. Who knows maybe that young rich ruler came to Jesus; and maybe Tom Brady will get to that point in his life. And just maybe his next 60 Minutes interview; will be slightly different...

No comments:

Post a Comment