Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Youth Pastor Lifer (Notes of a Youth Pastor #9)

"I am using my current position as youth pastor as a stepping block to becoming a senior pastor."

Ugh that has always made my ears hurt! A call to a youth pastor role is not a stepping block, it's a calling to what God wants you to do in those teen's lives. God might call us later to a senior pastor role; but if He has us within a youth ministry, you need to commit.

For the longest time, I told everyone that I was a youth pastor lifer. God called me into this at the age of 17 and that is what I have pursued. No stepping stones, no distractions, no excuses; teens are my focus. Then it happened! A question! I had just turned thirty and spent my birthday reflecting on the last decade of youth ministry. I decided to dedicate the next decade to God's will and was excited to see what would happen in the next ten years. Then I felt like God asking me this question: "If I want you to plant a church and be the lead pastor, will you stand in My way?" Well, no God, of course not.

That question hurt, because I was convinced that I was a youth pastor lifer. At the same time, I realized that God sometimes shapes and remold His callings on our lives. So I am moving in the direction of planting a church and becoming a lead pastor the past two and half years. Even if this was just a move of obedience and I never plant a church or become a lead pastor; this process will stretch and grow me.

What I have learned:

1. Don't use any ministry as a stepping block; serve full-hearted in the ministry that you are in
2. Never say you are a lifer and will never do anything else; because God might just make you humble and ask you a hard question

No comments:

Post a Comment