Thursday, November 10, 2016

You can't change a teen (Notes of a Youth Pastor #5)

This is a tough pill to swallow! I realized this while working at a boarding school in California. I could invest, invest and invest in a student; and see no change. I could correct, guide, discipline, instruct, encourage; and still see no change. What I learned there was simple: "At the end of the day the only person that can change the student is the student!"

I might want to make the right decision for them, but at the end of the day they are the only one that can make that decision. God also plays a huge part in this, but I believe God allows the individual to make their own decision. I can't save a student, change a student, make a decision for a student; at the end of the day, only the student can. The sooner you learn this, the better you can strategize your ministry. Encouraging students, pointing them to God and the Word, and modeling a lifestyle worth following.

No comments:

Post a Comment