Saturday, November 19, 2016

The Lock-in Debate (Notes of a Youth Pastor #8)

In the past, the Lock-in was the must do for youth groups! I remember the days of my youth! Capture the flag was the highlight year after year. One year, we had a leader randomly decide to do wacky olympics; wow, was that lock-in a lot of fun. Then there was that time where we did a Fear Factor lock-in, where I ate octopus and all sort of gross stuff.

As a youth pastor, I have led some epic lock-ins. While at Liberty University; I led two college teams to partner with churches for lock-ins. I also interned at a church in the D.C. area that had inflatables, karaoke and a crazy game of glow in the dark football. One of my favorites was recently; we did our own Dude Perfect trick shot video called Youth Perfect, borrowed a bounce house joust set from the YMCA and had Nerf Wars!

Among youth pastors, and you ask them what they thing of lock-ins; you normally have two groups. Yes, I am young and live for lock-ins or no, I am getting older and would rather sleep. As I get older, I am starting to dread the word lock-in. Sometimes I dread it because I, my wife and maybe one young adult are willing to chaperone crazy teenagers. Sometimes it is because high schoolers like purpling (blue + pink = purple...boy + girl = issues). I remember one lock-in looking for a couple and finding them under the pews; which was crazy because we are always fast pace and had no time to disappear. When it comes to lock-ins, my thought is, always better to do a middle school lock-in than a high school.

One of the best alternatives I had was partnering with an outside organization. I actually did two lock-ins that year; and this partnership was way less stressful and I actually had fun! I partnered with an organization called Badger Park. They do lock-ins from 11pm-6am. They have go-karts, mini golf, batting cages, laser tag, arcade games, inflatables, etc. They bring out pizza and sodas at midnight; oh and they have coffee for the youth leaders! Everything was planned, the teens were occupied and I got to go around and interact with my students as I downed cups of coffee.

I am pro lock-ins if the circumstances are healthy; as a new dad, I have yet to do one at this stage of my life. It's okay to take breaks from time to time. I think though as I get older; I will recruit younger leaders to lead. Train them in the arts of watching for purpling, being creative with games and who knows maybe let them run with it as I head home to my bed at 2am????? I might be 60 years old when I start that though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment