Sunday, November 6, 2016

You need to network! (Notes of a Youth Pastor #3)

Network was not a word in my dictionary as a young youth pastor. I found myself on islands and stranded early in ministry. Thought now I would preach it as a must need for all youth workers!

I found out about a youth ministry network while serving in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I went to my first network meeting; and that was almost my last time. I remember the conversation turned to married youth pastors, how everyone in the group was married and how it should be a requirement to join the group. I was a single guy, could not relate and felt out of place. I gave it a second chance; I couldn't have been more wrong. A conversation that was more of a joke the month before almost led me away...I connected in and these guys have had my back for the past 6 years!

I would have walked out of the ministry, maybe thrown in the white towel or perhaps punched a deacon; NOT REALLY, but they kept me focused and encouraged. Our network focuses on building relationships, sharing resources, strategizing and praying together. My ministry and walk is so much stronger with a healthy network in my life. In return, the last few years I have been one of three network coordinators in Green Bay. My desire is to connect youth workers, encourage longevity and encourage them as they serve their churches and community in Green Bay. We truly are better together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment