Thursday, November 17, 2016

Youth ministry is what I get hired for (Notes of a Youth Pastor #7)

"I just got a position as a youth pastor and that is what I will be doing!" Well, yes and no...

A church hires you on to it's staff to minister to the teens, families and volunteers; but many times you will find that you are a hired gun for a long exhausting list of other things! Plunging toilets, cleaning overflowing toilets, planting grass seed, painting rooms, shoveling snow, building cabinets, moving things, etc. are just a few of the things I have done over the years.

When to do it? when your leadership tells you to! In any job, you listen to the boss and if you don't, "you're fired!" In ministry, that same principle applies. You need to play by house rules and if leadership asks something of you; do it. If it comes to a point where you are abused; then you need to leave.

Example of this: I served a church when I was single. Being single is dangerous, because that means you have more freedom than a married youth pastor or a married youth pastor with kids. I ended up working every day of the week and would come in at the strangest times; my hours were through the roof. I was exhausted! I thought to myself; if I was married or had kids I wouldn't survive at this pace. I am glad that I am no longer part of that scenario. When I read the Bible, I see the Sabbath as an important decision. People were supposed to have breaks, even land was required to have a break. You need to have a day or two. For me, I currently guard Mondays. Mondays are for me, my family and for playing basketball. You need to have a day off and guard it. Now events do fall on Mondays for me, so I pick another day of the week and take that off when that happens.

Learn that it is okay to say no! I believe that you don't have to be at every church event or every time the church doors are open. At times, extra programs and events can hurt our production of our specific ministry. Other times, attending these events will give you support. One of the events I currently attend in called Prime Timers. It is for the older people of the church and they meet at Denny's for lunch. I attend many times a year, but at times I say no I won't be at this one. Those times I am there; I am building partnerships and relationships with older people. They support my ministry in prayer and financially time after time. They care about the children and teenagers. If I have a busy week, I don't attend and they understand that I am busy. At times, I say no. In this case, meeting with the Prime Timers isn't under my job description; but I see the value to my ministry.

Attitude plays a big factor! When asked by leadership to do something outside your job description; doing it or not doing it is just one part of the equation, your attitude is the other part. You might not have anything to say about what is asked of you; but you have the choice to have a great attitude. When I was plunging a toilet, I remembered it need to be done and what would a guest think if they walked into our bathroom? While working at the YMCA, I was taught that if you see it you own it. Pick up the trash, use your umbrella to help a person stay dry on their way to their car, set up the chairs knowing that the small group will benefit from it, etc.

Your decision making and your attitude will set you up for success. It will help you to create a healthy work environment. The ministry that you are in charge of will reap benefits. Be ready to do the things you weren't hired for and do them with the right attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment