Friday, August 14, 2015

Giving Blood for the First Time

I hate needles! Let me repeat that; "I really hate needles!" There is something about a foreign object under my skin that is not supposed to be there. Side note: I also hate splinters and ticks for this same reason! With that said; I have never went and gave blood, that is willing. Sure I have had my fingers pricked, my blood tested, and I'll never forget all those allergy tests. Shots in the arms, fingers, shoulders, and the butt.

In pregnancy, you have to be careful with blood types of the father and mother. Antigens, Antibodies and Attacking Blood Fights are quite interesting. So you have to make sure that the mom's blood doesn't have conflict with the babies blood. Amber found out hers with all the blood testing and mine I was unsure of. I spent time trying to find paperwork that showed my blood type and came to the conclusion that I was going to have to have it tested. Without knowing the father's blood type, Amber was destined to get a shot.

How can you find out your blood type? Give blood! So that is what I did, I went to the Red Cross and I gave blood. The experience alone was worth it for a future story. I passed the written test, the blood pressure test and even the dreaded finger prick! The next thing was going to be the challenge; the 10-15 minutes of sitting on the table and giving the blood. I survived, ate my pretzels, drank my cranberry juice, and signed up for another appointment to give blood.

I wasn't sure if we would find out the information in time; Amber was scheduled to get her shot soon. I downloaded the Red Cross Donor app and the day Amber was to get her shot; my records were displayed and my blood type revealed! I am O Negative. This developed into good news and bad news. The good news was Amber did not have to get a shot! The bad news is that my blood type is rare; seven percent of Americans have it. Which means if I ever get into a life threatening situation where I need blood; I might be in trouble! I guess my saving three lives with one blood donation, finding out my blood type and saving Amber a shot really wasn't a bad thing...I am planning to man up, face my fear of needles and continue donating blood.


No comments:

Post a Comment