Thursday, August 13, 2015

5 Year Mark

I knew the statistics! I helped make the statistics in my younger years! I wanted to break the statistic! It is a known fact that the average youth pastor stays in his position between 6 months to a year and half.

Coming to Green Bay; I committed not only to break that but stay at least 3-5 years. After all, it takes 3-5 years to build a student ministry. It is sort of like a football team and a new coach; it takes time. Here I am: the FIVE YEAR MARK!

It really is surreal to be in one location, one city, one church, one position for 5 years. Prior to this position; I held a boarding school position for 1 & 1/2 years. In which; I helped to start, was a director and was one of the best experiences of my life! The boarding school, at the time, was the longest ministry position I held.

I can't say that it has been easy and there were not times I wanted to throw the towel in. It has been challenging. I mean I was ready for youth ministry; children's ministry not so much. Children's ministry has stretched me time and time again. Living in the North has it's sets of challenges; people here go to church because they want to or they are Catholic. Then there is the cold; wow, those negative temps can take the breath right out of you. Then there is coming up with new ideas, writing curriculum, learning to say no when there are too many irons in the fire, and waiting to see your students develop leadership. I could say more. Ministry takes time.

I wasn't sure when August 8, 2015 came; what feelings I would have. In five years, we have developed a well-rounded student ministry. We have added many more children ministry programs and events. We took Harvest Fest from a year of 60 church members to the 5th year having 420 people (most of them unchurched)! VBS went from averaging 20 kids a night to 50 kids a night (80 percent of kids outside the church). I have had the busiest year of my life. I've been involved in the community, sometimes, even more than church events itself. Which I have grown to love and realize we need to be out there with those that need to hear about Jesus. The last few years; I have played major roles at BLBA camp, coordinator of Green Bay Youth Pastors, a leader of the Called Out Conference, developed Study Bibles for Inmates and led worship services for the juveniles, working with middle schoolers through YMCA programs, a frequent radio guest, and just co-planned a youth mission trip in 2 and 1/2 weeks. I guess those would be just a few highlights.

August 8th has come and has gone. Looking back, for most it was just a Saturday. Granted, a Saturday that I knew meant big things for me. 5 YEARS! What a monumental moment...I was thankful that Amber recognized me the day before on Facebook, Becky game me a hug and a small gift, Pastor Rick recognized me in the service and I received a handshake from a church attender. I've never been a person that likes recognition; I'd rather it was given to my leaders or my teens. Cake, food, gifts, words, handshakes, a pat on the back, a simple congrats; I don't need them, but they would have contributed to make me feel like I made a difference in the last five years. I have no doubt that I have impacted the kids, teens, and the community. I know that my call is from God and what He wants me to do; and it means more to me than recognition. If there is one thing I have learned: is that in ministry you need to continue to move forward without recognition and keep recognizing your leaders when they enter important milestones...these are just my bold but honest thoughts from the past few days


No comments:

Post a Comment