Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Birthday, Sam

Today is a very special day for me because it is my two year anniversary; it is also a very special day for a specific teenager in my youth group. Sam Ciszek turned 16 years of age! I don't normally give a lot of recognition to teenagers on birthdays, but today is different. I spent some time reflecting on Graceway Student Ministry and how much of an impact Sam has been on where it is today! 

Let me start from the beginning. I moved to Green Bay a little over three and a half years ago. The youth group I inherited had 5 seniors, 1 junior and a 7th grader. I spent the first school year investing in these teens as much as I could, then they graduated and the juniors family went to another church. I was down to 1 teenager, the seventh grader. If you guessed Sam, you got it right! For me to say I was discouraged would have been an understatement. But if there was one thing I was good at, I was good at investing in one student at a time. My second year in Green Bay; I was pretty much starting over from square one with one teenager, myself, and few adult leaders. 

A few months into the next school year, Sam's cousin Jacob joined us and we had two! We continued to meet and we continued to be a youth group. Sam was awesome at bringing her friends to events and church. We were meeting, listening to God, and continuing to hope to grow as a youth ministry. 

Three and half years later, we have between 10-12 teenagers that are within the church. Wednesday nights have been at 8 teenagers and some of our events have been 10-15! We have 8 teenagers going to camp this year! We are looking at our second mission trip this summer! The teenagers are plugged in and serving in the church; from ushering, to nursery, to Graceway Kids, to sound booth, to special Christmas choir, to so many other things that I could go on and mention! 

If I were to give any type of recognition to where Graceway Student Ministry is today, I would give a huge part to Sam! She is at the core of our youth group and continues to play a huge part. I am proud of her and wish her an awesome 16th birthday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment