Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The raven, an unlikely food delivery choice

We see God's provision in Elijah's life when he sends the Ravens to feed him. In fact, this Old Testament story was one of my favorites growing up and still continues to be! Though today, while studying the passage, I came across something I have never thought of. The story of the ravens...

The raven a black bird that is good size bird and is actually kind of creepy. They are carnivores and are known to do damage. In fact, I was reading in the news about a raven that was wanted for vandalizing cars! He was pecking at windshield wipers and rubber parts on cars. One of the cars, he did about $500 worth of damage. To say the least, they can be intimating and problem making birds. 

So here we are in Elijah's story, him being fed by these birds. My first thought was they are scavengers! They eat road kill! They are carnivores eating small animals, dead things, and garbage. I mean it makes sense, think about the first time the raven is introduced in the Bible. Noah is afloat on the ark and he lets the raven out to fly. The Bible says the raven flew back and forth until the waters had dried up (Genesis 8). I'm guessing there were dead things floating on top of the water, it could eat and survive. The dove on the other hand is not a carnivorous bird and couldn't survive, so it flew back to Noah. The raven is a scavenger and a fierce bird! I'm not really sure if that would be the type of bird that I would want food being delivered to me...just saying. 

Another observation is that God used ravens, plural. Ravens are know to be solo bird, they stick to themselves. Here we see that ravens come together to fulfill God's purpose in feeding Elijah! Lastly, the raven was considered an unclean bird (Levitcus 11:15). I love the way God uses things for His purpose! A group of ravens that seemed like an unlikely choice to bring food to Elijah, but yet, they kept Elijah alive. The more we read the Bible, the more observations we can make and see the unique ways that God works in the lives of His people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment