Tuesday, November 19, 2013

To get where we want often times takes pain


"The truth is, sometimes the good plan he has for our lives is to make us look more like him, which more often than not takes pain."  - Jefferson Bethke

I am currently reading Jefferson's book "Jesus > Religion! The above quote got my mind twirling with many thoughts, that I would love to share. 

My thoughts led to having that perfect 6 pack chiseled abs. Or those nice toned muscles. They are so hard to get; and for me I might have gotten to a 2 pack abs once in my life. The known process for an individual to get to this point; they must suffer to get to this end goal. One of the ways they suffer, is that they have to continue ripping muscles. Ouch! Though, once ripped, the muscles grow back even stronger than they were before! Another way that they suffer is that they cut out unhealthy food! The Cheetos, pizza, ice-cream, etc. have to go and is usually replaced with things like spinach, cranberries, and organic food...That sounds a lot like emotional suffering...Though, if we are to get to the end goal of having toned muscles or a 6-pack; then we must be willing to cut away things that are harmful and choose to deal with the pain!

The same thing I am finding out as I am living out my Christian walk. I must choose to cut things out of my life that are not healthy for my walk with God and replace them with healthy things. I also have to learn to grow through the pains of trial and error; and through pains of storms and situations in my life. That way, after the hard times leave; I will be stronger in Jesus! 

We are told that we are to live Christ-like lives...When I was younger I thought that it was a command we needed to do, just like a chore...

Now where I am in my life; it is not even close to that of a chore or just something I need to do to fulfill this command. I desire to grow my relationship with Jesus! You might think that I might sound sick and twisted; but I am starting to enjoy the bad times in my life. I know what my relationship with Jesus feels like, after the pain of circumstances is lifted. I was a runner for most of my teen and college years, and I would compare my feelings to that of a runner's high. A runner gets to a point where he actually loves running and enjoys it! I have gone through so many frustrating circumstances and storms; that I actually look forward to the my stronger version in Jesus appearing afterwards! It is really something to have my savior going through the storm with me, loving me, teaching me, and growing me in His love and His Word! 

As I tell my friends when storms arise, we search God out more in the storms than when everything is calm around us. Now, I have an extra thought to storms in our lives. The thought that through the pain, we can grow stronger in Jesus and our love for Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment