Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fish Stories!

I caught my first fish when I was a young kid; and boy, was it a big one! A 17 inch beautiful rainbow trout. It was the first day of trout fishing and they tend to stock many of the streams in Pennsylvania where I grew up. On that day, kids under a certain age were able to fish in those streams. I still have the picture today as to proof of what I caught.

One of the things about fishing; is "fish stories." The stories that keep getting bigger and bigger...I have probably told a fish story or two in the last few years. In fact, I have probably heard plenty of stories over the past few years. When I was in God's Word; something crossed my mind. Peter or maybe James or John were catching up with some old friends and family; and they started telling stories of Jesus. And I can just picture some of these people responding back to the disciples; "Wow, and I thought your fish stories were crazy!" Think about it. If the disciples shared their stories with people.

"Well, there was this time that we were on the Sea of Galilee and we were about to be lost at sea; and Jesus stood up and talked to the storm and it went away!"

"Or there was this time that we had left Jesus and were out in the boat; and all of the sudden we saw Jesus walking on the water toward us. Oh, and of course Peter had to give it a try and almost found himself on the bottom of sea."

"And what about when the people listening to Jesus started getting hungry; and Jesus turned 5 loaves and 2 fishes into a mass meal that fed thousands!"

The stories would go on and on of Jesus' miracles, and Jesus' stories, and Jesus' life lessons. That I wonder if people scratched their heads and wonder if these were just "fish stories" or if Jesus was the real deal! Same thing today; some people have said the Bible is just a storybook. While others have realized that Jesus was and is God-flesh that had lived among men!

No comments:

Post a Comment