Saturday, January 7, 2017

The Preacher’s Manifesto

I am a preacher
I am a messenger of the most high God - an ambassador of the Lord Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 5:20)
I am a herald of the greatest story ever told, and the best news ever received (I Corinthians 15:1-4)
I am a sinner, saved by grace-not through my works, but through Christ’s work in me (Ephesians 2:8-9) 
I am equipped with everything I need for the calling God has for my life (Ephesians 2:10)
I will preach the Gospel without shame (Romans 1:16)
I will not settle for moralistic, therapeutic, feel-good, prosperity preaching (2 Timothy 4:2-3)
I will preach the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth of God’s Word (Titus 2:1)
I will use the Bible as the firm foundation for all my messages (2 Timothy 2:15)
I will read the Bible form than best-sellers (Psalm 1)
I will study academically, but speak plainly for all to understand (Acts 15:19)
I will work to please God, not man (Galatians 1:10) 
I will seek to be faithful, not famous (I Samuel 12:24)
I will glorify God, not myself (I Corinthians 10:31)
I will build up God’s kingdom and His Church, not my own (Matthew 6:33)
I will live with the highest integrity-a life above reproach-so the Church won’t get another black eye (I Timothy 3:1-7) 
I will practice what I preach (Matthew 23:3)
I will boast in my weakness, not my strength (2 Corinthians 12:9
I will live in Biblical community, not isolation (Hebrews 10:24-25)
I will know and love my neighbors, not just my church members (Leviticus 19:18)
I will live, eat and drink with sinners-like Jesus did-because it is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick (Matthew 9:11-13)
I will prioritize the needs of my wife, sacrificing myself for her, so that ministry doesn't become my mistress (Ephesians 5:25)
I will spend quality time with my children, so they will grow to love the church, not hating it for taking their daddy (Ephesians 6:4) 
I will honor the Sabbath and rest, knowing God is in control (Exodus 31:12-13)
I will circle my preaching in prayer, giving my anxiety to God (Philippians 4:6-7)
I will listen before I speak (James 1:19)
I will become all things to all people so that I might win as many as possible ( I Corinthians 9:19-23)
I will seek to serve, not to be served (Romans 12:3)
I will give before I receive, because I will reap what I sow (Galatians 6:7)
I will truly love people, not just pretend to love them (Romans 12:9-10)
I will preach with all I got, holding nothing back (Jeremiah 20:9)
I will not back down, shut up, or shy away from speaking the truth (acts 5:40-42)
I will preach hard truth with love (Ephesians 4:15)
I will hold firm to sound doctrine, no matter how unpopular it may be (Titus 1:9)
I will not waiver in my faith in a big God who accomplishes big things through those who dare to act upon God-sized dreams (Ephesians 3:20) 
I will not allow temptations and the Devil to gain a hold on me (James 4:7)
I will be a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1) 
I will fight the good fight, keep the faith and finish the race (2 Timothy 4:7)
I am a preacher. 

And, the Lord willing, in the end, I will hear those words I so desperately long to hear: “Well done good and faithful servant.” (Matthew 25:21)

Taken from the book Preaching Nuts and Bolts by Brandon Hilgemann

No comments:

Post a Comment