Monday, July 7, 2014

Camp After-Thoughts

2014 BLBA Camp was amazing this year! It was my first time to experience the whole week of camp and I was able to spend quality time with both the elementary kids and teenagers. My position was the recreation leader for the week; aka, I was the games guy!

Best memories of the week:

Hanging out with the campers. They were amazing! I met many new teens and kids; and was able to see others that I had met last year. Also I got to spend time with 7 teens and 4 kids that came from Graceway!

Getting slimed was a huge highlight of the week. The elementary cabin with the most points for attitude, participation, and bringing water bottles was able to turn me into a human pancake! The Chicks cabin won and I had pancake batter, melted butter, and maple syrup poured on me. The teenagers turned me into human sushi; each of the six cabins counselors picked their best behaved camper from the week. I then had soy sauce, rice, and sardines thrown on me. It was a smelly memory; but definitely a great memory as I looked out and watched the campers having a blast!

Being chased by a bear, well, not really chased...(refer to the camp night intruder two blogs before)
Nothing like walking down a path and running into a black bear on it's back two feet. Especially, when it could have had two cubs with her...

Having my wife being part of camp this year! She came up on Wednesday night; and we were able to walk around the camp and see a beautiful sunset on the lake!

Then a lots of small things: like losing my car key and walking back and forth from the rec field to the mess hall, only to find them at the rec field table...or getting injured playing kickball. Swollen ankle and lots of limping, but Brad did a great job of wrapping my ankle and I was able to push through the week...or crazy game challenges like elephant games, air zooka, and campers shooting blow darts at a cup on my head...

Best games of the week:

By far the teenagers would say Glow in the dark capture the flag! I loved it too! Nothing like watching two teams charge at each other with glow sticks around their wrists only to watch them stop at the center line; and act like a bunch of girls and boys at middle school dance...Both nights we played it; the game was a success!

Another game that the teenagers liked was Awesome Ball. It is a combination of handball, ultimate frisbee, and basketball ideas. As we played, I made more rules and added soccer ideas to the mix. The game looked pretty violent for the most part; we had many collisions and people laying on the ground. Though, amazingly we had no injuries. It was requested to be played again, so I know for sure it was a "new" game hit with the teenagers.

The elementary kids played a variety of games. Their favorites were the human blob and sharks and minnows. Changing it up everyday and having new games; the elementary kids enjoyed rec time.

I am sure in the weeks to come, I will look back and realize so much more happened! These are just a few that I have thought about over the weekend; and I believe that they are great life stories!







No comments:

Post a Comment